Our Client is a German multinational engineering and electronics company and one of the world's largest suppliers of automotive components (under NDA).
The Client was looking to build an IoT application that would collect driver data to be in compliance with new DOT regulations (see https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-12-16/pdf/2015-31336.pdf). This product integrates with the Client's proprietry solution that utilizes CAN Dongle, J1939 standard, with a Bluetooth communication layer. The app will store all driver and auto/manual collected event information and send in batches at midnight of each day. This project is a pilot app, programmed with Java and GPS location capture as a working prototype to gather target audience feedback. Phase 2 is expected to begin shortly.
Android programmed prototype for user feedback collection and analysis.
- Profile data entry – no true loggin/authentication for the pilot
- Capture 4 main states/events “on duty, off duty, sleeper berth and driving”
- Automatically detects movement, auto trigger driving state
- Capture events every 30 minutes or when a change occurs
- Take photos and notes for ELD log
- Sends daily batch reports every midnight via email including photos, notes and event captures
- User profile: Driver name, DL state, US DOT number, VIN, engine hours and miles
- Web admin portal for reports look up
Tools / Platforms
Java, GPS integration, Linux, Apache, PHP, MySQL
- Bring value to motor carriers and the trucking industry by creating an easy to use, low maintenance event capture solution that satisfies the Department of Transportation compliance requirement for logging all trucking driver activity while on duty.
- Gain target audience feedback before the final product specs are defined.